Using the right equipment is a key aspect of creating effective and efficient metal manufacturing components. When you need to process metal plates into specific shapes, your production line may rely on metal stamping dies to complete the work. These are precision tools for cutting and forming sheet metal. They come in many types and perform a series of functions.
Ⅰ. Metal stamping die technology
The following are the basic mold types used for stamping in metal manufacturing.
1. Progressive: These are used for mass production, and they are usually suitable for high-speed operation. They provide a cost-effective way to put parts into production.
2. Transfer: This type is also used for mass manufacturing. When the part size is medium to large, the shape is round and deep drawing, the transfer of precision stamping dies is the ideal choice.
3. Production line: There are actually two types of production line molds: manual loading and robot loading. They are suitable for small batch production and large parts that cannot be efficiently produced on one press.
Ⅱ. The applications of metal stamping die
Metal stamping is a forming process in which the sheet metal workpiece is contoured and formed between the punch and the die. Metal stamping dies are tools attached to stamping tools. When the punches apply pressure, they manipulate the workpiece and provide pillars that form the workpiece. Unlike other bending processes, stamping releases the internal pressure of the metal so that there will be no rebound or deformation after stamping.
Metal stamping is commonly used in various applications. This is a universal process that can be mass-produced. There are a variety of custom metal stamping dies that can be configured to create parts for a variety of applications as follow.
1. Household appliances;
2. Fasteners (washers, brackets, metal clips);
5. Medical equipment;
6. Electronic products;
7. High security lock;
9. Furniture production;
10. Ventilation (pipe fittings, rain caps, pipe hangers, gates, valves, etc.).
Due to the repeatability, durability and accuracy of metal stamping parts, metal stamping is also ideal for the automotive and medical industries where performance is critical.
Ⅲ. Different types of metal stamping dies
There are many types of molds used for metal stamping, and each sheet metal stamping mold performs different operations, such as cutting, trimming, grooving, blanking, perforating, slitting, and shearing. There are five types of metal stamping dies as follow.
1. Blanking die;
2. Compound mold;
3. Forming mold;
4. Casting mold;
5. Progressive mold.
Compared with other mold types, progressive molds have many advantages because they have high yields. The progressive die stamping process can simultaneously perform multiple cutting and forming operations and can quickly produce accurate and consistent parts.